Goals of the Program
Apex provides In-Home Services with the goal of strengthening and supporting at-risk families. Our program strives to assist in strengthening parental capabilities, creating community supports, building healthy relationships, and creating opportunities to living independent and healthy lives.
Families participating in our In-Home Services are referred by an outside agency. We utilize the following promising practices to assist with identifying any deficiencies and/or barriers a parent might be experiencing which has or may cause removal of a child from their care.
- North Carolina Family Assessment Scale: This assessment measures a family functioning in five domains (Environment, Parental Capabilities, Family Interactions, Family Safety, and Child Well-Being)
- Adult Adolescent Parenting Inventory: The AAPI is an inventory designed to assess the parenting and child rearing attitudes of adult and adolescent parent and pre-parent populations. Based on the known parenting and child rearing behaviors of abusive parents, responses to the inventory provide an index of risk for practicing behaviors known to be attributable to child abuse and neglect.
- Nurturing Parenting Program: The Nurturing Parenting Program is an evidenced based program with over 35 years of research. The program utilizes the five parenting constructs of the AAPI to form the foundation of the lessons of the Nurturing Parenting Program. The AAPI provides the level of risk assessment and the program provides the treatment.
Whenever possible, In-Home services are meant to prevent the removal of children from parental care.
Types of In-Home Services:
- Supervised Visitation
- Family Support
- Intensive In Home Services
Supervised Visitation is an In-Home Service designed to assist with family reunification. Supervised Visitation focuses on increasing parental capabilities, monitoring safety, and actively assisting with positive interactions among youth and families. Frequency and length of stay are outlined between client and referring agency and Apex adheres to outlined prescription of services.
Supervised Visitation will focus on the following:
- Improvement of youth and/or family functioning
- Parental Capabilities
- Family Interactions
- Family Safety
- Child Well-Being
- Healthy, safe, secure and appropriate interactions of all family members
Family Support & Intensive In-Home Services
Apex receives referrals for this service when barriers exist to a child successfully returning to the home or when the child is at-risk of removal due to existing risk factors. Family Support or Intensive In Home Services will provide educational interventions and strategies that assist in the development of individual or family skills necessary to safely remain in the home as a family unit.
Components of Family Support or Intensive In Home Services may include:
- Review and adherence to the safety plan when necessary
- Improvement of youth and/or family functioning in the areas of environment, parental capabilities, family interactions, family safety, child well-being, social/community life, self-sufficiency, family health
- 24 hour crisis support
- Clinical interventions